Rescuers escort a duck parade

Muddy hedgehog
Muddy hedgehog

What a hot week, can I please urge everyone to go outside and put out a shallow dish of water for wildlife visiting your garden.

For such a hot weekend it was very busy, rescues included an injured pigeon outside Staples in Eastbourne, a hedgehog at Willingdon, a baby hedgehog crossing the car park at the East Sussex National Golf Course, a road casualty gull at Sovereign Harbour, a badger fallen into a basement in Hastings, plus many more! A mother duck and her 11 ducklings ended up having an escort through a housing estate in Hailsham.

Five volunteers attended on site to help the family get to their home safely. Local residents of Birch Way called us out WRAS after spotting the duck and ducklings.

Ducklings are frequently hatched in gardens and parks as it is safer for them than nesting by a pond, where gulls, mink, cats, foxes, birds of prey, corvids, pike and other predators will be expecting them, so the mother finds a nice quiet garden where they are less likely to be found.

The mother normally knows the route she wants to take back to the pond, but as the ducklings are so young and can’t fly she has to walk them, which causes them to get into trouble falling down drains and getting run over.

Rescuers decided to give them an escort rather than run the risk of catching them and mum either flying off and abandoning them or taking the ducks and releasing them at the wrong location.

We had two rescuers who stayed behind them, two in front to prevent them from heading across drains and a fifth person who was warning approaching traffic.

You can watch their escort on our You Tube Channel at

We also had a call about two trapped hedgehogs at Westham.

They have to be the muddiest hedgehogs we have ever had to rescue. They had fallen into a foundation trench on a building site in Pevensey Park Road, Westham. It is possible they had been there for two days.

Once out they were taken to WRAS’s Casualty Centre.

We named them Bill and Ben and set about giving them a good clean and a wash, which they weren’t overly happy about.

They stayed at WRAS for six days waiting for the foundation trenches to be filled and finally they were returned and released at the edge of the site to find their way home again.