Murder inquiry launched after Eastbourne man dies from head injuries

editorial image

A murder inquiry has been launched after a homeless man died from head injuries after an attack in Seaside Road last week.

Lee Molineau, 46, died in Hurstwood Park neurological unit on Tuesday night – six days after an incident outside Chan’s Dimsum Chinese restaurant. Friends lit candles and laid flowers at the spot where Lee suffered the fatal injuries and yesterday (Thursday) his family visited the scene.

Lee was attacked on Wednesday night after an altercation with two women just before 11pm. An unknown man intervened and assaulted Lee, who collapsed on the pavement.

DCI Ian Pollard of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team said this week, “We are currently following certain lines of enquiry and are still keen to hear from anyone who saw what happened, as well as anyone else who has any other information about the incident.

“It is still not clear exactly what caused the altercation, or why the man intervened.

“There has been a very good response from the community following Lee’s death.”

The wanted man is white, in his early 30s, of tanned complexion, 6’, and of stocky athletic build with short cropped hair. He was wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans and white footwear. Lee’s family, who were with him at his bedside when he died, said, “Lee was a happy-go-lucky lovable rogue, loved by his family and friends. However, he had some demons in his past that took him down the wrong path.”

Tributes have also been paid by friends at the Salvation Army, where Lee was a regular visitor. Pauline Peagam said, “Lee utilised our services at the Salvation Army Rebourne Corner Day Centre as he was currently homeless. He had various health issues and memory problems that meant he did not always remember details and this sometimes got him into trouble. He was a gifted man and artistic who once drew a lovely small picture for me to say sorry for his behaviour after a drinking session. You couldn’t be angry with Lee for long as he never truly meant his actions and always apologised. He was a big guy with a big heart and his friendly, happy-go-lucky attitude will be missed.”

* Police are questioning a 22-year-old woman. One woman has already been charged with an offence. Ruby Heard, 25, of Lexden Drive, Seaford, will appear at Lewes Crown Court on August 23 charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent.