AN UMEMPLOYED man died after taking a massive overdose of anti-depressants.

Paul Lilley, 35, of Cavendish Place, took SEVENTY-FIVE pills and was 155 TIMES the normal dose.

Dr Tim Geitzen told an Eastbourne inquest that Mr Lilley had a long history of psychological problems and alcohol abuse.

'He had an appallingly low level of self-esteem and described himself as worthless and useless,' he said in a statement.

And Dr Panos Argiriu, a psychiatrist, said Mr Lilley had a history of self-harm and aggressive, violent behaviour.

The inquest heard that he had taken an overdose in the past.

Mr Lilley's body was found by his friend Michael Watling.

He told the inquest that the pair had drank a lot of alcohol the night before.

Mr Watling said, 'I woke up the following day and saw Paul lying on the floor. I thought he was asleep.

'I suddenly realised that his chest was not moving up and down. I checked his temperature.'

He said he 'panicked' after discovering his pal was dead.

Mr Watling said he did not know whether or not Mr Lilley had taken an overdose of pills.

But he admitted the pair would sometimes 'pop a few (pills) too many'.

'Paul had a chest of drawers full of anti-depressants which he did not take,' Mr Watling said.

He did not call for an ambulance straight away because he thought he would be 'implicated' in his friend's death.

Catherine Combes, of Bedford Grove, said her boyfriend Mr Watling was 'very upset' over the discovery.

'He told me we had to call an ambulance and the police as there had been an accident and Paul had passed away,' she said.

Kevin Fielder, who runs Copylink Digital below Mr Lilley's flat, said he heard loud banging in the morning of his death.

He added that there were 'regular fights' between the pair.

Detective Sergeant Colin Dowle of Eastbourne CID said Mr Watling was arrested on suspicion of murder after Mr Lilley's death on November 11 last year.

But he was released without charge.

Coroner Alan Craze was not convinced he committed suicide.

He said there was insufficient evidence for a suicide verdict as Mr Watling did not know how Mr Lilley had died.

Mr Craze recorded an open verdict.