Inquest hears how Langney boys died in house fire

TWO young boys who died in a house fire in Langney three years ago had candles and lighters in a den they had made under the stairs, an inquest has heard.

Lewis and Taylor Jenkins died in the house fire in Milfoil Drive on October 4 and an inquest in to the boys’ deaths, which is expected to last four days, was opened yesterday morning (October 18).

Coroner Alan Craze was told Lewis, seven, and Taylor, five, had built a den with a friend under the stairs of the home with duvets and sheets the night before their deaths.

Emma Wilson, forensic scientist from Forensic Science Service in London, said the fire had started in the boys’ den and that the remains of a disposable lighter, several tea light candles and an air freshener aerosol can were found.

Read The Gazette tomorrow (October 19) for more.