Hedgehog Awareness Week gets underway today (May 1).
The week aims to highlight the problems hedgehogs face and how members of the public can help them.
This year efforts are focused on strimmers and cutting machines, which kill and maim many hedgehogs each year.
The British Hedgehog Preservation Society is asking people to check areas carefully before using any machinery.
The society has produced a sticker to be place onto machines and are asking councils and tool hire companies to get in touch and request the free stickers for their machines.
As well as checking areas before cutting, there are other things the public can do to help avoid a hedgehog injury:
* Ensure there is a hedgehog access in your garden - a 13cm x 13cm gap in boundary fences and walls
* Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it
* Ensure netting is kept at a safe height and stored safely when not in use
* Check compost heaps before digging the fork in
* Stop or reduce the amount of pesticides and poisons used
* Cover drains or deep holes
* Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds and pools
British Hedgehog Preservation Society chief executive Fay Vass, said: “We are asking people to pledge to do at least one positive thing for hedgehogs during the week and if possible let us know, send us pictures of the hedgehog hole or home you create, or from the event you organise.”
Here are a few more ideas of how you can get involved:
* Contact your local council or tool hire shop and ask if they will use the free stickers from BHPS on their machines
* Organise an event such as a cake sale, fun day, coffee morning or jumble sale
* Display information (provided by BHPS) in your local garden centre, shop, library etc
* Post leaflets in your area letting people know how they can help hedgehogs (BHPS can provide leaflets)
The BHPS is hoping to raise £2,000 during Hedgehog Awareness Week 2016.
To donate text HHOG16 followed by £1, £2, £3, £4 or £10, depending on how much you wish to donate, to 70070.
Leaflets and posters are available to www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk or these can be posted out on request.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.