Heartfelt pleas for missing Eastbourne teen

editorial image

FOUR days after Megan Stammers went missing with her 30-year-old maths teacher and her parents have made a heartfelt plea for her return.

Fifteen-year-old Megan disappeared at the end of last week and crossed the Channel with 30-year-old Bishop Bell teacher Jeremy Forrest on Thursday evening, sparking a massive search involving the UK Borders Agency and French authorities.

Mum Danielle Wilson said, “Meg sweetheart I am in pieces. I don’t care why you have done it or are doing it, I just need to know you are OK and safe. “Let me know you are safe give me a phone call, text me or send me a private message on Facebook.

“I just need to know you are fine darling.”

Dad Martin Stammers said, “Megan we never made our special date on Saturday.

“I still want to take you out. Please contact us and let us know you are safe. Please come home.

“I want to thank everyone who is helping in the search for Megan, all the social media sites and people who are tweeting.”

Megan’s mum said her daughter had never done anything like this before, was doing well at school and had never been in trouble.

She spoke about the last time she saw Megan and explained her daughter was caring and would often stroke her head and call her cute because she was small.

She said, “She was all happy and jumping around. She grabbed my shoulders and said can you look me in the eye?

“I was busy and I said ‘get off me’. She said ‘look me in the eye and then she went ‘I love you’.”

Megan Stammers left her home in Walton Close, Eastbourne, on Thursday. She told her parents she was staying at a friend’s house and the alarm was raised when she did not show up for school on Friday.

The pupil and teacher crossed the channel on Thursday night and a text message was sent to a close friend of Megan’s saying she had arrived safely in France. However, the message did not come from Megan’s phone.

Chief Inspector Jason Tingley said, “They were expected to return on Sunday (September 23) during the late evening. The scheduled ferry and the passenger list were checked but they were not on either.”

He went on to make direct pleas to both Megan and Mr Forrest.

He said, “I have a direct message for Megan if you are listening to this.

“We believe that you left of your own accord with Jeremy but we need to hear that you are ok. Your family and friends are extremely worried but you are not in any trouble. Please do make contact with us.

“My message to Mr Forrest is that this may have not gone as you expected it would. Right now our priority is to know that Megan is safe and I would ask you to do the right thing and make contact with us. We will work with you to get you both safely back into the country.”

“We have set up a dedicated telephone number and text number which can be used by you to contact us direct from abroad. The number is 00441273 475432 or text +447786208090.

“Officers have been working closely with Megan’s family during the last few days, offering them the relevant support and providing details of our investigation.”

Megan is described as white, 5’ 6’’, slim, with long straight dark brown hair, blue eyes and was last seen wearing a white vest top and silver chain.

Jeremy is aged 30, 6’, of slim build with fuzzy facial hair and mousey brown hair. He wears square glasses, dresses casually and has a black star tattoo on his upper left arm. He drives a black Ford Fiesta registration GJ08 RJO in which they were seen travelling in as they boarded the ferry to France.

Anyone with information about them, should ring Sussex Police on 101 quoting Operation Oakwood.