Hampden Park murder trial: “We don’t get banged, you do”, court hears

A teenager accused of murder kicked his victim in the head as if he was kicking a football, a court has heard.

Shane Noble was seen by witnesses punching Christopher Poole in the head before kicking him in the face moments later.

The 19-year-old, of no fixed address, and a 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, both deny murdering Mr Poole and are standing trial at Lewes Crown Court.

Yesterday (Thursday) the jury heard evidence from a 16-year-old witness who was outside the Premier store in The Hydneye, Hampden Park on August 16 last year when the incident took place.

The teenager, who cannot be named due to his age, told the court he had been with a group of friends when one of them roller skated past 46-year-old Mr Poole’s dogs, who were tied up outside the shop.

He said the animals went to attack the youth and Mr Poole then came out of the shop, telling the group to stay away from the dogs. A ‘bit of an argument’ broke out between the 15-year-old defendant and Mr Poole, who then walked away but came back when one of the group shouted abuse at him, the court heard.

He believed it was the 15-year-old defendant that had shouted it but was mistaken according to the witness, who added, “Chris gave him a shove and he stumbled back a few steps. At that point the 15-year-old’s brother shouted out at the top flat asking for Shane to come down.

“Shane punched Chris in the side of the face. It made Chris stumble and I think he tripped over his own foot, one of his shoes came off.”

The boy told how Mr Poole got up and went towards Shane at which point the younger defendant punched the older man to the side of the face.

The witness added, “Chris started to get back up and then Shane came in from where he was and kicked him in the side of the head.

“It made a loud thump.”

The boy told the jury how the Iden Street resident then fell down and made a loud snorting noise.

The court heard the father of the 15-year-old defendant arrived at the scene and asked for an ambulance to be called before getting a bottle of water and pouring it over Mr Poole’s face to try and wake him up, to which the boy said there was no reaction.

Another witness who had heard noise outside his flat told the jury he looked out of the window and later heard a person in the group he knew by the name of Shane say, “We don’t get banged, you do”.

Earlier in the week, the court heard that witness Micky Geakin watched in horror as Mr Poole was attacked. Ms Geakin, who was standing on the balcony of her flat in Ross Court in The Hydneye, said she saw Shane Noble punch Mr Poole in the side of the head.

An ambulance and paramedics arrived and tried to revive Mr Poole but he had suffered severe damage to the artery between his neck and brain and died the following day.

The trial continues.