Frequently asked questions about the food hygiene ratings in Eastbourne

Food and drink.
Food and drink.

Who runs the scheme?

The scheme is run by local authorities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland in partnership with the Food Standards Agency.

Local authorities – Eastbourne Borough Council here in town – are responsible for carrying out the inspections to make sure they meet the proper standards and they give the businesses ratings.

What is the scheme for?

The rating gives customers an idea of what is going on behind closed doors in their favourite restaurants, cafes and takeaways.

Where is the scheme run?

The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme is run in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. A similar scheme is run in Scotland.

What types of businesses are rated?

Ratings are given to restaurants, takeaways, cafés, sandwich shops, pubs, and hotels – also to other places where you might consume food such as schools, hospitals and residential care homes.

Ratings are also given to other places you eat away from home, such as schools, hospitals and residential care homes.

Are any businesses given an exemption?

Some places are not given a rating. If they are considered low risk, such as a newsagent selling only wrapped sweets.

How is a hygiene rating worked out?

A food safety officer inspects a business to check that it meets the requirements of food hygiene law. The officer is from the local authority where the business is located.

The officer will check how hygienically the food is handled, the condition of the structure of the buildings, how the business manages what it does to make sure the food is safe.

For the original story with all of Eastbourne’s food ratings click here