Fire crews were called to an oven on fire in a flat in Sovereign Harbour last night (Thursday).
Four crews were sent to the flat in Midway Quay shortly before 6.30pm following a 999 call.
Firefighters used a CO2 extinguisher to tackle the fire and a turntable ladder was later used to remove the oven.
Crew Commander Kevin Clift, who attended a similar incident earlier in the week, would like to remind residents of the dangers surrounding cooking in the kitchen: “It is important to keep both the cooker and grill pans free from fats and oils, which can easily catch fire.
“Also, there should be a working smoke alarm to alert the resident to any early signs of fire, as well as regularly testing them to ensure they are in good working order.
“If you ever become aware of a fire then always get out, stay out and call the fire service out.”
The fire service ask people to take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if called away from the cooker,take care while wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily and not to cook after drinking alcohol or taking prescription drugs.
Photos by Nick Bashford.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.