Exploding blowtorch sets fire to Polegate home

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

Firefighters tackled a house fire in Polegate last night (January 24) after an exploding blowtorch set a carpet alight.

Two crews from Hailsham and Eastbourne were called to the property in Sayerland Lane at around 3.05pm.

The fire started after a small blowtorch canister, which had been used to light a fireplace, exploded - spreading burning fuel across the carpet of the downstairs flat.

Firefighters made the area safe before leaving the scene.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.