A 13-year-old boy returned to a burning building to rescue his younger brothers from a house fire in Eastbourne this morning (September 23).
Kye Sibley bravely saved his brothers from spreading flames when his family home in Wakehurst Road caught fire at around 6am.
Two of his brothers, aged six and eight, had shut themselves in the house’s upstairs bathroom after becoming frightened in the confusion of the fire.
Kye climbed past the fire and was able to force open the door and to get his brothers outside to safety.
Kye said, “They had locked themselves in so I had to bash the door in to get them out.”
After getting the boys outside he had to be stopped from returning to the flames to check on his father who was attempting to put out the blaze.
Kye’s mother, Maria Haffenden, said, “He was a hero. He went in and saved his brothers and we had to keep him out here afterwards or he would have gone in to try and get his dad as well.
“The fire was awful. We had just had the place redecorated. We lost all the kids’ school uniforms too.”
The rest of the family were able to get out safely and called firefighters for help.
Fire crews from Eastbourne were able to extinguish the flames by around 7.30am.
A man was treated for minor burns and the family was checked over by paramedics.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.