Eastbourne taxpayers are £7.162 million in arrears, according to the latest statistics (2014-2015).
This is the equivalent of £149 for every home in the borough – up from £133 per home in 2013-2014.
The figure, highlighted by National Debtline, the free advice service run by the Money Advice Trust, is up from £6,386,000 on 2013/14.
The National Debtline also revealed that there had been 125 people from Eastbourne calling them in 2014 for debt advice.
Joanna Elson OBE, chief executive of the Money Advice Trust, the charity that runs National Debtline, said, “We are seeing more and more people seek help with Council Tax arrears – but the fact that Eastbourne residents owe £7.162 million makes us concerned that many more people in the area are struggling alone. Free debt advice services such as National Debtline are here to help.
“We would like to see local authorities do everything they can to help residents who are falling behind to seek the free advice that can turn their lives around.
“We know that the earlier a problem is caught, the better the outcome.
“I would urge anyone in YOUR AREA who is struggling to make their Council Tax payments to contact National Debtline as soon as possible.
“Our expert advisers are on hand to work through your situation and help you get back on track with your finances.”
- National Debtline offers free, independent and confidential advice 24 hours a day online at www.nationaldebtline.org and on 0808 808 4000, Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm, Saturday 9.30am to 1pm.
The Money Advice Trust is a charity which helps people across the UK tackle their debts and manage their money wisely.
• Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.