A man found guilty of raping a woman in Eastbourne has been jailed for 12 years.
Anton Holden was sentenced at Lewes Crown Court this afternoon for the offence as well for other charges including sexual assault and attempted rape.
He was found guilty of two counts of rape, sexual assault, a count of attempted rape, attempted sexual assault, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and breaching a non-molestation order following a five-day trial.
Today (Monday) the jury found him not guilty of a third count of rape, but guilty of an alternative lesser charge of attempted rape. The 40-year-old was sentenced afterwards.
During the trial, prosecutor Oliver Dunkin said Holden’s victim was attacked and suffered bruising to her stomach and face during the incident in September 2011.
Holden, who had been remanded in custody since being arrested for the alleged offences, told police officers the sex was consensual.