PLANS to revive Eastbourne Carnival have received tremendous public support and a date has been set for 2012.
Last month, plans were unveiled to reintroduce the seafront summer carnival in the summer after a break of more than 20 years.
Organisers said the response had been fantastic and the event will take place on June 8 next year.
The MP’s Commission, set up by Stephen Lloyd, is behind plans to bring back the carnival which was traditionally a procession from one end of the seafront to the other.
Dave Cooper, from the MP’s Commission, said, “We have had an amazing reaction to the idea of bringing the carnival back to town. So far we have had more than 40 entries so it is definitely going to be a runner.
“We want the carnival to be a great family evening out and I hope it will bring back memories of how successful the annual event used to be until it stopped nearly 20 years ago.
“The businesses around town have also got on board with the event and it is hoped that families will take the opportunity to eat out in some of Eastbourne’s great restaurants on the evening.
Expressions of interest are still being received daily with a wide range of entrants including charities, businesses, and heritage vehicles.
The team organising the event come from all areas of the town and have a variety of skills including health and safety, planning and marketing professionals.
They are currently putting together the entry packs which will be issued as soon as road closure plans and health and safety issues are finalised and approved.
If you would like to help out the carnival committee can be contacted at email@example.com and would love to hear from residents with ideas and entry suggestions to make the event a success.
Or if you would like to take part in the carnival, forms are available either at the Herald and Gazette offices in Lismore Road or at Stephen Lloyd’s office, 100 Seaside Road, Eastbourne.