Don Mabey funeral

Don Mabey's funeral, Seaford
Don Mabey's funeral, Seaford

More than 300 people turned out to pay their respects at the funeral of tireless fundraiser and Honorary Freeman of Seaford Don Mabey.

The 92-year-old passed away on December 18 and his death saw tributes flooding in with friends describing him as a ‘total gentleman’ and ‘very generous’, while his widow Maeve said he was the ‘perfect husband’.

His funeral took place on Tuesday last week (January 8) at St Leonard’s Church and saw standard bearers from the Royal Air Forces Association, the Seahaven branch of the Royal Society of St George, Seaford and Newhaven sea cadets and Canadian veterans attended, who braved the heavy rain outside.

The Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex Peter Field joined Don’s family and friends, representatives of Seaford Head Golf Club and the Royal Society of St George at the service.

Councillors were also in attendance and among them were Seaford mayor Councillor Anthony White, deputy Seaford mayor Councillor Mark Brown, town councillor Linda Wallraven, district councillors Tony Nicholson and Steve Saunders, as well as the mayor of Newhaven Julie Carr.

The chaplain of the Royal Society of St George and the secretary of Seaford Golf Course Richard Andrews gave an address.

Mrs Mabey, of Uppers Sherwood Road, said, “It was marvellous, the church was packed.”

Major Bob Peedle MBE gave an eulogy and one of Maeve’s granddaughters also paid tribute during the service.

Don was appointed MBE for voluntary service to the Royal Air Forces Association in the New Year Honours List last year.

He was born in Wales and joined the Royal Air Force as a teenager, had links with many clubs and organisations and was president of the Royal Society of St George Seahaven branch and president of Seaford Head Golf Club up until his death.

He had previously been president of Seahaven RAFA.

He was also founder and president of Oxted and Limpstead branch of RAFA up until August this year.

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2013 and had heart problems. He became unwell on the morning of Wednesday December 18 and died in hospital later that day.