Portuguese ambassador visits Eastbourne after violent attacks
A Portuguese ambassador has visited Eastbourne after two Madeiran men were seriously injured in town.
Maria João Morgado, who works for the consulate-general of Portugal in London, met with Eastbourne police to discuss concerns following the violence.
The first incident saw a man beaten almost to death after he was set upon by a group of 15 people while on his way to a supermarket with his girlfriend in St James Road.
The 25-year-old suffered life threatening injuries in the assault on October 8 last year, and it is understood he remains in a coma.
Then, on January 5, a 20-year-old was also beaten close to death in Priory Lane.
The young man was placed in an induced coma after suffering serious head injuries in the incident, which happened at about 8.20am that day.
And an appeal was also launched by police in December after a Portuguese-themed cafe in Seaside Road suffered extensive damage after seven vandal attacks.
Sussex Police said the ambassador was taken on a tour of Eastbourne town centre this week and introduced to the local Portuguese community and businesses by PC Scott Franklin-Lester.
During the visit, police said she was able to discuss local concerns and establish “the majority of the Portuguese community feel safe and supported in Eastbourne”.
Police said she also had concerns regarding Brexit and is hoping to set up a community meeting in Eastbourne with the police and council.
PC Franklin-Lester, who has worked with the local community for 16 years, said, “The visit was a really positive link with the Portuguese consulate and it helped to show the local community that we can work together to deal with crime, disorder and to tackle drug supply, helping to keep Eastbourne a safe and happy place to live.”
Sussex Police has previously said it is not treating the two assaults as linked.
If you have any information regarding any of the incidents contact police online or on 101.