A WOMAN who claimed she was sexually assaulted by two men wearing ski masks who entered her home in Herstmonceux has been arrested on suspicion of wasting police time.
The 36-year-old Herstmonceux woman was arrested on December 15 and released on police bail until February 16 in relation to an allegation of a serious sexual assault made on September 28 last year.
Her arrest follows an intensive police enquiry into the allegation that two men entered an address in Herstmonceux and committed a serious sexual assault on a woman, said Sussex Police.
A house in Herstmonceux was cordoned off while Sussex Police forensic teams investigated the alleged assault, pictured left.
The woman said the sex attack happened between 9am and 10am on September 28.
She told her partner when he returned home from work and he subsequently called the police.
But despite extensive local enquiries with members of the public who lived in the nearby area, there were no reported sightings of the two men.
At the time, Chief Inspector Julia Pope, District Commander for Wealden, appealed for any witnesses to come forward.
She said, “Understandably local people are going to be concerned as a result of such a crime being reported.
“I can only assure them that police take every allegation of incidents of this nature extremely seriously,
“To that end we are using every resource we can to try and piece together exactly what happened on Tuesday morning.”