A TEENAGE girl who told police she had been attacked and prompted a major investigation in Cross Levels Way at the weekend has been arrested for wasting police time.
The 16-year-old girl, who had been reported missing on Thursday evening, returned to her Eastbourne home on Friday night claiming she had been dragged into bushes along the pathway, attacked and then passed out until 4pm the following afternoon.
She told police she spoke to an unknown passer-by who told her the time and she made her way home.
Police cordoned off the area near Sainsbury’s on Friday night and Saturday morning and forensic officers carried out a painstaking search of the area for clues.
She was interviewed by detectives to establish the exact circumstances of the incident and an appeal was launched for witnesses to come forward.
But on Sunday, Sussex Police released a statement to say the girl had been arrested on suspicion of perverting the cause of justice.
She was released on bail until October 29 when she is due to return to the police station to find out if she will be charged.