Alcoholic lashed out at police and smashed window

AN ALCOHOLIC has appeared in court after lashing out at police and smashing a shop window.

Cheryl Farley’s string of offending began on July 14 when she tried to get into Super Pizza when the business was closing. The 37-year-old, who was drunk, argued with a staff member.

After they locked up the defendant then began kicking at the door, damaging part of the panel and then threw glass into the road.

Eastbourne magistrates heard she took some of the wood and began shoving it through the hole she had made, hitting the staff member on the leg.

Farley, of Park Road, began to walk away once police arrived and crouched behind a skip before shouting at them to ‘leave her alone’.

She was extremely abusive and had to be restrained until she calmed down, but then she kicked one of the police officers.

She came to police attention again when she was at the pier and had been ejected from a venue. Officers saw Farley and noticed she was unsteady on her feet and she was told to get a taxi home. She gave police incorrect details and was arrested after going over the rails to the lower prom.

After her husband arrived Farley began screaming that she didn’t want to go home. She lashed out and hit three officers. Farley pleaded guilty to four counts of assaulting a police officer, two counts of resisting arrest, assault, criminal damage and being drunk and disorderly.

Maxine Buck, defending, said her client had been sober for a period of seven months, adding, “She’s an alcoholic and has hit rock bottom.

“She needs help and wants to engage with all the agencies that can provide her with help.”

Ms Buck said a man living in a flat above Farley had also been an alcoholic, adding, “Unfortunately she did succumb to numerous offers.

“She lives with her husband who is anti-drugs and anti-alcohol and really wants to help her.

“She just wants to go home and be with her husband and rest.” The case was adjourned until August 17 while an all options report is prepared.

Farley, who was told she would be remanded in custody in the meantime, struggled as she was led from the dock.