Abusive drunk terrified young football players

A MAN’S drunk and abusive behaviour scared young children playing football, a court heard.

Christopher Sherwood strode through a coaching session for under 8s at Hampden Park to get to a group of girls he believed were bullying his cousin.

He was shouting and swearing and at one point the coach of the football team asked him to stop his abusive behaviour.

The incident ended when he poured a can of beer over one of the girls in the group after she had been assaulted by another person.

Sherwood, 25, of Brodrick Road, Eastbourne, admitted common assault and a public order offence after the incident on July 25 and appeared before Eastbourne magistrates on Monday morning to be sentenced for those and a further offence of criminal damage to a fence at the home of Kayleigh McLoughlin-Spencer on August 11.

Helen Constantinou outlined the prosecution facts of the incident at Hampden Park playing fields as well as the events at Miss McLoughlin-Spencer’s home.

She said Miss McLoughlin-Spencer was at home when she heard shouting in her back garden late at night and found Sherwood brandishing a metal pole.

“The defendant used it to cause damage to the fence and when police were called he was found with the pole nearby to the scene,” said Ms Constantinou.

Yolanda Pons, defending, said her client had believed Miss McLoughlin-Spencer had made comments about him on Facebook and wanted to confront her about them.

She also said the incident at Hampden Park playing fields had been fuelled by alcohol and the belief his young cousin was being bullied by the girl he poured beer over.

“These are all offences where alcohol has played a part,” said Miss Pons. “He fully accepts these are unfortunate incidents and he is very ashamed by his behaviour. He is a young man who drinks too much and loses control.”

Sherwood, who works as a refuse collector, was given a 12 month community order with 150 hours of unpaid work and told to attend Action for Change to address his drinking.,

He was also ordered to pay £170 court costs as well as £35 in compensation to the girl he spilled beer over and £50 for the damaged fence.