Coroner issues cocaine warning after the death of Seaford father

A stark warning about the dangers of cocaine was issued by a coroner after it was found to have led to the heart attack which killed a Seaford father.

An inquest heard how Adam Green, 35, from Eastbourne Road, had the cocaine in his system when he entered the Bells Club in Phyllis Avenue, Peacehaven, and attacked Simon Young on Sunday December 11.

He was then restrained by club members and police, but suffered a heart attack, failed to regain consciousness and was on a life support machine, dying in hospital several weeks later.

The cause of death was given as heart attack, combined with the stress of restraint, cocaine and alcohol.

East Sussex Coroner Alan Craze said cocaine increased blood pressure, risks of stroke, brain haemorrhage and heart attacks.

During the inquest at Eastbourne Town Hall on Tuesday January 15, Mr Craze said, “In my view, if he had decided not to take cocaine, he could have carried out the same actions and it would not have resulted in his death.

“So to my mind it seems that the taking of cocaine, which is often thought to be comparatively safe to do by comparison with heroin, played a major part in bringing about Mr Green’s death.”

Witnesses said Mr Green arrived in the club and when he spotted his ex-wife Maria Manton with Simon Young, from Seaford, Mr Green attacked him.

The two men grappled on the floor. Mr Green bit Mr Young’s ear twice during the fight.

While Mr Young tried to push him away, Mr Green tried to pull him closer.

The two were broken up by several of the club’s members, who restrained Mr Green and held him down in a citizen’s arrest, using reasonable force until police arrived.

Witnesses said during this time they did not have any concerns about his health.

Mr Craze praised the actions of the police, who he said ‘did an incredibly good job keeping him alive’.

PC Michael Sinden, from Lewes police, was the first to arrive at the club at around 2.10pm. Soon after he noticed Mr Green’s breathing had become ragged and saw he was going in and out of consciousness.

He called PC Matt Holt and PC Jon Attfield, who were on their way to the club from Newhaven, to update them and requested an ambulance.

PC Holt, who is trained in CPR, arrived soon after the phone call and found Mr Green was not breathing.

He administered CPR to Mr Green, until paramedics and first responders arrived.

Mr Green was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, where he died on January 2.

Consultant pathologist Dr Simon Poole said it was remarkable Mr Green was revived at all after the incident.

The inquest heard how when the heart has stopped beating for about four minutes and oxygen is no longer pumping around the body, the risk of brain damage increases greatly.

East Sussex coroner Alan Craze said Mr Green’s death was a result of his own actions and recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.