Chris Poole murder: Killers showed no remorse, says brother

Shane Noble: convicted of murder
Shane Noble: convicted of murder

THE brother of Chris Poole, the man killed after a vicious assault in Eastbourne last summer, has told the two teenagers convicted of his murder that his death will lie on their consciences forever.

Yesterday, after a three-week trial at Lewes Crown Court, a jury of five men and seven women found 15-year-old Joe Chapman, formerly of Iden Street, Eastbourne, and 19-year-old Shane Noble of no fixed address guilty of murder.

Both had denied murdering Mr Noble outside the Premier convenience store in Hydneye, Hampden Park last August.

The trial heard how there had been a dispute between 46-year-old Mr Poole and a group of youths about his dogs, who had been tied up outside the shop.

Following the attack, an ambulance and paramedic arrived at the scene and tried to revive Mr Poole but he had suffered severe damage to the artery between his neck and brain and died the following day.

Judge Anthony Scott Gall had earlier lifted reporting restrictions on naming Chapman after requests by the media, but not to publish any photographs of the 15-year-old.

Chris Poole’s brother, Rick, welcomed the sentence. “Thanks to the justice system of this country the two accused have been found guilty of the crime they committed, which as far as we’re concerned was the only possible outcome,” he said.

“They showed no remorse for their action and all who were there on that fateful night will live with this on their conscience forever.

“In time to come they will be free again and maybe they would have learnt their lesson. We, the family, will never be free of our pain and suffering.

“We would like to thank Sussex Police for its meticulous and thorough hard work in bringing these criminals to justice.

“Also for the professional but caring and sensitive dedication they have shown us since that first terrible day.

“Christopher’s life was taken from us by two ruthless people and all those who knew him are united in the grief we feel at the loss of a wonderful son, brother and friend who leaves behind a heartbroken partner Penny and her four children.”

Detective Chief Inspector Nick May, who headed a Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team investigation, said: “What happened next was horrific. Mr Poole was left with fatal injuries after being viciously punched and kicked to the head. The attack can only be described as a senseless act of violence.

“There were a number of people in the area at the time and I want to thank them and the community for their support to our investigation.

“Our thoughts are very much with Mr Poole’s family who have sat through the trial with great dignity, hearing very distressing evidence about what happened that night. I hope the verdict brings them some comfort.”

Both defendants have been remanded in custody for sentencing on March 15.