The owners of Eastbourne Pier say they can categorically confirm Eastbourne Pier has NOT been sold to flamboyant hotelier Sheikh Abid Gulzar.
The businessman said yesterday (Wednesday) he had signed contracts and paid an undisclosed sum for the iconic structure.
But within the last hour Crown Entertainment Centres Ltd, which owns the pier, said no contracts had been exchanged, no money had changed hands and a sale had not taken place.
Richard Baldwin, the negotiator at GVA which deals with buying and selling for Crown, said, “We can categorically confirm a sale has not taken place.
“Mr Gulzar is a prospective purchaser but he has not yet exchanged, no paperwork has been signed and there has been no deposit paid.”
Mr Baldwin said the sale of the pier was like the sale of any property asset and a deposit would be paid on exchange and completion set for a later date.
“For him to say he has bought the pier is factually incorrect.”
For the story on Mr Gulzar’s claims he had bought the pier click here
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.