BREAKING NEWS: Paedophile Green jailed for nine years

Michael Green SUS-140228-142209001
Michael Green SUS-140228-142209001

A former Hellingly Lions Cycle Speedway rider has been jailed for nine years for raping young boys.

Seventy-one-year-old Michael James Green, who rode for the celebrated club as a youngster more than 50 years ago, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment at Hove Crown Court today (Friday).

Green had been found guilty at Hove Crown Court in January after a two and half-week trial, of four of five counts of sexual offences against young boys, with the remaining count ordered to lie on the court file.

The offences include raping boys and indecent assault.

The convictions resulted from an investigation by Brighton Child Protection detectives into information received in 2011 that a young boy had been sexually assaulted by Green in the early 1980s.

Three further victims came forward during the investigation.

All the boys were aged between 13 and 15 at the time of the offences which took place between 1981 and 1982. Green had met them separately in Havant and South London whilst he was engaged in the running of junior cycle speedway clubs. He had met his first victim at the now defunct Havant Cycle Speedway Club.

Green, who was also a pal of Sarah Payne killer Roy Whiting, was a champion rider for the Hellingly Lions Cycle Speedway Club in 1962.

The club’s current manager George Hollebon said today that Green had had no contact with the club for 50 years.

Detective Constable Dawn Robertson said, “There is no current evidence of any other offending by Green but, as with all such cases, if anyone has new information they can contact Sussex Police via 101 at any time. Although every case is assessed on its individual merits, we will always follow up allegations of sexual abuse of children regardless of how long ago they are said to have happened.

“Anyone who wants to report alleged offending of this type can always contact us at any time via 101 and arrange to talk in confidence to specially trained detectives.”

The first victim to come forward, who was at court today to hear the sentencing, said, “The impact that this man has had on me and on my life has been like a life sentence, and today I can find some closure as justice has been done. The support from the police and their belief in my case has been invaluable and I would strongly encourage anyone who has abused to come forward. You will be taken seriously.”