Blaze damaged business urges people to call

Old Thatch Cottage Fire Damage SUS-151202-131217001
Old Thatch Cottage Fire Damage SUS-151202-131217001

The owners of a mini travelling zoo at Polegate whose premises were destroyed by a fire last week are urging people who made bookings to contact them urgently and have also asked for urgent help.

The Old Thatched Cottage on the A22 Hailsham Road was badly damaged in a fire which broke out on Wednesday evening.

It was home to Animal Magic, a mini travelling zoo, and more than 300 animals, birds and insects were saved.

Lyndsey Parker at Animal Magic is appealing for a Portaloo as the family are living in a caravan on the site as well as security fencing, which needs to be installed by Wednesday.

She told the Gazette, “People have been marvellous and donated clothes and other items but we desperately need a Portaloo as there isn’t one on site.

“We have also been told we need to fence off the site with security fencing by Wednesday by the council while we wait for the insurance to be settled. It would help if people have any they could temporarily let us have.”

In addition Lyndsey has said it is business as usual for Animal Magic and urged anyone who made bookings to contact them as the bookings diary and computer were all destroyed in the blaze.

“The last thing we want to do is let anyone down who made bookings with us,” said Lyndsey.

“All the animals and pets are safe and we will endeavour to honour all our bookings.”

Animal Magic is a mobile petting zoo for children of all ages which travels to venues and events with a selection of animals.

Firefighters were called to the Thatched Cottage on the southbound stretch of the at 6.21pm on Wednesday.

During the incident, crews from Hailsham, Eastbourne, Forest Row, Uckfield, Herstmonceux, Seaford, Bexhill, Heathfield and Lewes attended the scene, close to the popular K2 Indian restaurant on the southbound stretch of the busy main road.

They remained there until 11am Thursday morning.

Although the home suffered very serious damage, no-one was hurt in the fire, which was accidental.