Beware of a silent killer in the home

L36904H14''Carbon Monoxide Alarm Alan and Sue Everson SUS-140109-160828001
L36904H14''Carbon Monoxide Alarm Alan and Sue Everson SUS-140109-160828001

Home owners are being warned of a silent killer ahead of the launch this month of a national Carbon Monoxide (CO) awareness campaign called Project SHOUT.

Project SHOUT aims to raise awareness of the life threatening dangers of carbon monoxide and the simple solution that could save hundreds of lives.

You can’t see, smell or taste Carbon Monoxide so it’s very hard to identify and is often mistaken for other things such as food poisoning or flu as the symptoms are very similar.

Supporting the campaign are two inspirational mums who have both had experiences of the deadly gas, Stacey Rodgers and Louise Aspinall.

Louise and her family had a lucky escape when a Carbon Monoxide leak in their home was detected by a simple alarm which, had they not had in the kitchen, could have seriously injured them, or even been fatal.

Stacey sadly lost her son Dominic at the hands of the deadly gas after suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning when their neighbour’s faulty boiler leaked through to Dominic’s bedroom, killing him as he slept.

One person dies every week in the UK from Carbon Monoxide poisoning which can be produced from faulty fuel-burning appliances, including your boiler, fireplace, cooker, hob, barbecue or even a clogged chimney. To find out more visit

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.