Activist hit with ban after calling for officer’s job

A well-known Eastbourne activist, who waged a decade-long harassment campaign against two respected doctors, has now been made the subject of a restraining order.

The order, imposed by a judge at Bromley Magistrates Court, bans him from continuing his latest alleged campaign against a policewoman who previously investigated him.

The court was told that disabled Paul O’Callaghan, 39, of Granville Road, mailed multiple copies of a petition he had drafted to forty police stations all over London, Kent and West Sussex. In it, he asked officers to sign their support for the dismissal of WPC Lisa London.

O’Callaghan did not attend court but prosecutor Louise Thomas told the court in his absence that a fresh investigation into him was prompted by a four-page handwritten document, which was received at Gipsy Hill Police Station, Crystal Palace, on May 8.

Miss Thomas said that the document could be described ‘as a rant against both the NHS and Lisa London, who he said perverted the course of justice’. She said he had described himself in it as a ‘hero’.

She said, “He asked police officers to sign his petition supporting the sacking of Lisa London and included a stamped address envelope. The petition was hand-signed by Paul O’Callaghan and images of Lisa London taken from a Metropolitan Police website without permission were included. He was interviewed and admitted sending the documents.”

The magistrates made the indefinite order, which prohibits O’Callaghan from obtaining, storing, distributing or communicating media information in relation to Lisa London.

He is also banned from contacting the officer and must not distribute any signs or writings that are distressing or enter the London Borough of Bromley without a pre-booked medical or legal appointment.

The self-styled founder of the ‘British Unicorn Party’ had pleaded not guilty to harassing Lisa London on or before July 11 and the actual charge was dropped by the prosecution. Nevertheless, magistrates still imposed the restraining order.

WPC London led the investigation and prosecution of O’Callaghan for circulating leaflets calling for the ‘punishment’, ‘retribution’ and ‘execution’ of named medics.

O’Callaghan received 18 weeks imprisonment, suspended for twelve months, and was also made subject to a five-year restraining order, banning him from displaying any sign that could cause harassment or distress to NHS staff.