The bombing continues in Eastbourne during the war years

Looking back to how Eastbourne has changed is something resident Grenville Godfrey has been delighting readers with for some time.

Using photographs and old postcards, Grenville has spent some time researching and compiling now and then images showing original buildings and what they have been replaced with.

Grenville posts his images on the Facebook group, Gone But Not Forgotten – Eastbourne’s Vanished Shops, which now has more than 4,000 members since it was started by Trevor Perks and Andrew Speed.

These photos show South Street as it is today and as it was when it was Old South House in the 1800s with a sign posting to Eastbourne College Cricket Ground; Elm Cottages in Grove Road opposite the Town Hall in the 1930s; Oakden & Co Estate Agents, Cornfield Road, in 1910; Linkswood in Compton Place Road; Coombe Cottage at 42 Ocklynge Road which is now the site of the CommunityWise building; Willingdon Road in 1984 and today; Upperton Road in the 1960s and finally Terminus Road in the 1900s.

Godfrey says, “Terminus Road, it could be Madame Pestel, photographer, next to where Marks & Spencer was soon in July 1912 to be. Madame Pestel was 49 Terminus Road, M&S 51, but prior to M&S opening there is no listing for 51.

“Although when M&S expanded to a double shop between 1922-1927, it was 51 and 53, Vinall was at 53 and 53a, later 55 and 57. Pestel went between 1922 and 1927 to be replaced by Aitken, Grinstead & Co, motor engineers, 49, later 47 Terminus Road, and later taken over by Caffyns.