With the news that the Old Polegate Station could be demolished to make way for a convenience store and flats above, Looking Back has been delving into the archives for old photographs of the building.
The building was actually the second railway station to be built in Polegate – the first and original Polegate station on the Lewes to St Leonards line stood immediately east of the High Street level crossing.
The initial route from Eastbourne to Hailsham required a reversal at Polegate and to overcome this a new station was built 300 yards to the east in Station Road in 1881 which is the Old Polegate Railway Station site.
Thus Polegate became an important junction and the number of platforms and sidings were scaled accordingly. The station was moved back to its original position on May 25 1986 and the old station became a restaurant.