Pevensey Castle attacked by vandals
Pevensey Castle was vandalised overnight with a number of windows, items and displays damaged.
A Sussex Police spokesperson said, “Police were called around 9.45am on Tuesday (April 13) to reports of a break-in at Pevensey Castle.
“It happened between 6pm on Monday (April 12) and 9am on Tuesday. Damage was caused to a number of windows and doors at the location, as well as to displays and items within.
“Enquiries are ongoing, and anyone who saw what happened or who saw any suspicious behaviour in the area around that time is asked to get in touch.”
Information can be passed to police online or by calling 101 quoting serial 308 of 13/04.
A spokesperson for English Heritage said, “While it is fortunate that the damage has been to modern additions to the site and not the historic fabric of the castle itself, we are deeply saddened by this deliberate instance of trespass and vandalism.
“English Heritage is a charity, and with our sites closed for much of the last year (including Pevensey) we have seen a substantial loss of income from visitor admissions – which helps us to conserve the historic places in our care. It is extremely disappointing that we have had to direct our limited resources towards undoing this damage.”
Damage was also done within the grounds back in 2018.
To read more about click here.