Eastbourne cinema could close
Eastbourne’s only cinema could close as early as next week.
Cineworld – which has a multiplex in The Beacon – is set to shut all of its 128 UK cinemas after struggling due to the coronavirus crisis, the Times reported this morning (October 4).
It comes after the announcement the release of the new James Bond film No Time to Die has been delayed again until April 2021.
The Times reports that the company will write to Prime Minister Boris Johnson this week to tell him the industry has become ‘unviable’ due to the delay of big movies by the studios.
Cineworld would look to reopen next year when big blockbusters return, according to national news outlets.
A spokesperson for the company said, “We can confirm we are considering the temporary closure of our UK and US cinemas, but a final decision has not yet been reached.
“Once a decision has been made we will update all staff and customers as soon as we can.”
The cinema only opened in Eastbourne’s shopping centre extension in July last year.
It replaced the Cineworld at The Crumbles retail park in Sovereign Harbour.
And, early this year, Eastbourne’s other cinema, The Curzon, closed its doors in Langney Road after a century.
Bosses said the arrival of Cineworld had ‘killed’ business.