Latest youth football round-up


Eastbourne Girls 4,

Newhaven Pink 0

Eastbourne received the league trophy before this; their final league game of the season. Newhaven started the day in second place and proved tough opponents. Eastbourne went close to opening the scoring early on, through efforts from

Natasha Dean and Ellie Sanders, but it took some great saves from Jasmine Watson at the other end to keep it goalless. On a small

pitch both teams found it hard to impose themselves. With half-time beckoning Sinead Orr was first to react to a corner to put Eastbourne in front. Sinead quickly added a second with a great run and finish. The second half continued in the same vein with some great defending by Caitlin Neville, Zoe Terren-Casas and Gracie Watson. Sinead completed her hat-trick with another great finish and Eleanor Moore completed the scoring with a well taken goal to give Eastbourne some breathing space for the last ten minutes. Both teams meet again in the cup final this weekend it what should be another good match.


Eastbourne Borough Reds finished their first season in Sussex Sunday League Division one with a victory over local rivals Ratton Rangers. Boro’ started brightly with good long range efforts from James Beeden and Sam Scott. They soon took the lead with an Adam Lovatt penalty and went into the break with a 2-0 lead after Cameron Apted finished coolly. Ratton came out very strongly and were unlucky not to score after hitting the post and having a header cleared off the line by Boro’ Captain Nathan Hover. However, excellent defending from Victor Guy, and industrious work in midfield from George Taggart saw Boro’ home. An excellent match played in the right spirit by two very good sides. The result saw Boro’ finish as runners up to Hove Rivervale, who they beat earlier in the year. This, combined with their League Cup win caps a magnificent season for the boys while special praise must go to coaches Mark Taggart and Mark Guy.


Hailsham United Colts 6,

Pembury Colts 1

Hailsham won comfortably when they last met and elected to start the match with the wind behind them. With the advantage, Hailsham switched play at will, characterised by Joe Scott’s sublime balls for winger Jake Packham to exploit down the right wing. Hailsham’s Robin Garnet was the first to shoot, stinging the Pembury ‘keeper’s hand, who spilled it to Packham at the back post to tap home. The second and most popular goal fell invitingly to Dan Brian-Davis 20 yards out who struck for his first of the season. Pembury had little to offer. Hailsham kept their discipline and were rewarded with further goals from Ellis Nuttal (2), Packham (2) and Jordan Groves. Pembury’s only goal came from a contentious free kick on the edge of the box denying Hailsham the deserved clean sheet.

Kingston Village 2,

Pevensey & Westham 3

Pevensey started off poorly and went behind after six minutes when a defensive mix-up with the goalkeeper allowed the Kingston player to nip in and score.

Then with 15 minutes gone, the same poor defending allowed Kingston to score their second. Pevensey woke up and scored after 22 minutes when a Harry Prince corner was slotted in by Charlie Luffman. They levelled the score after another corner was headed in to the box by Charlie Reeves and onto the head of Jack Edge. Pevensey took the lead on 32 minutes when Charlie Reeves scored with an excellent lob over the ‘keeper after a pass from Charlie Luffman. The second half turned into a midfield battle with very few chances created. Harry Cook made a superb one handed save at the near post and a second goal bound opportunity was saved and pushed out for a corner. Harry Prince could have wrapped up the game in the last ten minutes, beating three defenders but his shot was smothered by the Kingston ‘keeper. Kingston fought till the end and had a disallowed goal for offside in the last few minutes of the game.