Blue and Golds power to Chichester victory

Luke Turner
Luke Turner

Eastbourne registered an important win away to third placed Chichester on Saturday.

Following their defeat against Hove 3rd team and their postponed Cup game the previous weekend, the visitors scored three tries to win 27-10.

Conditions were wet and soft under foot which tested both teams.

Chichester looked to stamp their authority early on in the game by running with the ball from deep and force Eastbourne into some last-ditch defending.

Chichester were awarded an early penalty which was converted to give them an early lead.

The hosts frequently found channels through the middle of the park forcing Eastbourne’s back line to make some important tackles. Chichster’s physical presence was proving to be too strong and they scored their first try following a line-out move. The try was subsequently converted to give the home side a 10-point lead.

However, Eastbourne’s pack gradually got a foothold in the game, fighting for every loose ball and driving forward in the rucks.

The visitors’ were soon back in the game when Prop Matthew Webb drove over the line after taking full advantage of a knock-on five yards from the Chichester line.

Nathan Ring converted to cut the deficit to just three points at half-time.

Eastbourne continued to exert pressure in the second half and were soon ahead after Ring broke Chichester’s defensive line.

He was tackled just before the line but Flanker Andy Curtis seized the opportunity to grab the ball and storm home. Ring made it two conversions from two to make it 14-10 to Eastbourne.

The away side’s pack dominated the scrum and eventually forced a penalty.

Ring made no mistake converting for another three points. The ball remained in Chichester territory for the majority of the second-half and Eastbourne’s patience forced two more penalties for Ring to convert.

Eastbourne capped off a fine display with a try to seal the game late-on.

Number 8 Luke Turner peeled off from the back of the scrum and superbly off-loaded to the supporting Obey who safely crossed the line.

The first team host Burgess Hill next weekend.

Man of the Match voted by players and spectators was Andy Curtis for his relentless battle to win ball.