Blue and Golds keep promotion on track

Eastbourne Rugby
Eastbourne Rugby

In a biting northerly wind and on the muddiest conditions experienced thus far, Eastbourne confidently overcame Seaford to achieve the double this season.

By outscoring the local rivals by five tries to none, the Blue & Golds extended their lead at the top of the table to ten points.

Whilst there is no room for complacency, the confidence appeared to have returned after the disappointing defeat at Brighton and, injuries notwithstanding, should stand this team in good stead for the coming fixtures.

It was Seaford however who took an early lead after Eastbourne were penalised for failure to roll away.

This penalty however was against the run of play and it was the home side who made all the running. After a sustained period of creative play, Seaford were penalised; Matt Pysden took a tap and put prop forward Matt Webb over in the corner. The 5-3 score line was never going to last long given the ratio of possession and territory and on 25 minutes Eastbourne extended their lead. The ball was whipped across several pairs of hands and skipper Clark crossed for a further five pointer.

From the restart, the Eastbourne pack won a ruck ball and Adam Tennant spotted the gap in front of him.

He accelerated through and slipped the ball inside to Clark who doubled his tally within seconds for a try which was very well converted by full back Stevenson.

Leading at half time by 17 points to 3, the conditions began to favour the home side. All three substitutes were used and during the next 40 minutes, Seaford never looked like scoring whereas Eastbourne looked capable every time they marched forward. Warmer fingers might have led to tries for King,

Smith or Van bentham; as it was, a classic shortened line-out led to a text book drive over the line, Gavin Farley coming up from the bottom to claim a very popular score.

And with the final move of the game, hooker Ed Sinclair crowned a fine individual performance with a score under the posts which was easily converted by Aaron Stevenson. Man of the match decisions are never easy but chairman Fraser Brooks chose Matt Webb by a very slender margin ahead of Ed Sinclair

The next test is Crawley away on February 7.

Team: Imich, Sinclair, Webb, Farley, Mottram, van Bentham, Cousins, Redman , Pysden,

McKay, Smith Tennant, Clarke, King N Stephenson,, Keen P., Goldsmith, Buttle