Tributes for Former United player Swallow

Ken Swallow
Ken Swallow
0
Have your say

Eastbourne United this week paid tribute to their former left back Ken Swallow who was found dead on Boxing Day.

Ken, 70, and his wife Dorothy Swallow, 71, were discovered dead in their bed at home in Hurstpierpoint and are feared to have inhaled toxic carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty generator used during a power cut.

Former United President Doug Scissons said, “We were all very sad to hear news. It was a tragic set of circumstances and our thoughts are with the family. I believe we (Eastbourne United) have sent a letter to Burgess Hill Football Club to express our condolences.”

“Ken was great player and a nice chap. He was a very useful, skilful and confident player. He was not the type to go flying in, he was also constructive and thought about the game.”

Swallow was a key part of the successful United team of 1968-69 that won the Athenian League under manager Roy Osbourne.

He also returned for a second spell at the club in the early 1970’s under Ken Carter who replaced the successful Osbourne.

Ken signed for Burgess Hill in 1973 and played until 1977 when he was forced to retire with an eye injury.

He had two spells as Burgess Hill manager and won the league during his tenure. He also managed Ansty Rangers and Haywards Heath football clubs.

A Sussex Police statement said, “Shortly after midday on Boxing Day relatives found an elderly couple dead in their home.

“There are no suspicious circumstances and it is thought the man and woman may have succumbed to fumes from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.

“An investigation into their deaths continues. Post-mortem examinations have been carried out.”

An inquest was opened and adjourned on January 3