Eastbourne United AFC assistant boss Scott Price has been officially charged by the Sussex County FA for improper conduct following a vile tweet sent to former England and Arsenal left back Kenny Sansom.
Price could face a lengthy ban following an FA investigation into the assistant manager after an offensive and expletive-laden tweet sent from his Twitter account that branded Sansom as ‘scum’ and stated he should ‘overdose.’
Sussex FA general manager Ashley Slaughter said, “I can confirm that Scott Price has been charged and he has 14 days to respond.
“He will have the opportunity to state his side of events before the disciplinary committee meet to discuss the next step.
“He could face a lengthy ban but that is something that will be discussed once we have gathered the required information.
“It really is an unpleasant issue and one the FA takes very seriously.”
Sansom, 55, made 86 appearances for England and more than 300 for Arsenal in the 1980s.
Recently however, Sansom has struggled with alcohol and in a recent interview admitted he was homeless and had been sleeping on a park bench.
Last Sunday Sansom used social media and wrote, “If you think Arsenal have wasted money on Özil...Just take a look at Tottenham’s signings. Ha ha!
All fairly standard stuff considering Sansom’s links to Arsenal and their rivalry with London neighbours Spurs.
It is said Price’s friend, Nick Sargent, picked up his phone and responded, “@KennySansom3 your money gets wasted on drugs and booze you f****** hypocrite....Overdose you pathetic scum.”
Samson has more than 16,000 followers on Twitter and retweeted the remarks to his stunned followers.
Price, whose account had history of abusive messages to Samson that have since been deleted, said, “I’m furious about this as I’m not guilty of anything.
“Someone grabbed my phone while I was watching the football with the lads and sent the tweet as a prank.
“My idols are Paul Gascoigne and George Best. I would never send anything like that to them or anybody.
“I’m just sorry the football club (Eastbourne United) have been dragged into this. They do not deserve it.”
Despite facing an FA charge, Price said he had spoken to Sansom directly.
He Tweeted, “No issues, have spoke to Kenny direct and all sorted. Matter finished.”
Price was installed as United’s number-two at the beginning of this season alongside first team manager Simon Rowland.
On Saturday he watched his side reach the last eight of the FA Vase thanks to a memorable 6-1 victory against Morpeth Town at the Oval.
However, what should have been a week of celebration ended on a bitter note because of the comments.
Speaking on Monday Eastbourne United chairman Les Aisbett added, “I have known Scott for yonks and he’s always been a sensible lad.
“It sounds like it could well have been a prank gone wrong as I couldn’t imagine him saying anything like that.
“We have had issues in the past with nonsense being written about us on Twitter.
“I will speak to Scott and the others on Tuesday night and remind them to watch their step as they are representing the club.”