Striker Atkin denies Bexhill move but departure looks likely

Andy Atkin action

Andy Atkin action

0
Have your say

Eastbourne Borough striker Andy Atkin insists he has not signed for County League division two outfit Bexhill United.

Bexhill manager Gerard Moyse claimed he had pulled off a major coup in signing the burly Boro’ striker in time for their home clash against Southwick.

However, Atkin told Herald Sport, “There have been a lot of rumours floating around but I have not signed for Bexhill. As far as I am concerned I am still a contracted player with Eastbourne Borough.

“I have a new job and at the moment that is my priority. Garry (Wilson) and Nick (Greenwood) have been fantastic and know what my situation is.”

Atkin’s job building sport facilities such as tennis and basketball courts takes him all over the country. Speaking from Devon on Thursday he said, “The travel for work and for Boro’ is impossible to juggle.

“I am fit but the job makes it hard for me to train. I will not be going to Darlington on Saturday.”

While admitting it was likely that Atkin will shortly be plying his trade outside the Blue Square Bet Premier, Borough manager Garry Wilson said nothing had been finalised with Bexhill.

He said: “Andy’s been offered work which will involve him being away from home during the week and he wouldn’t be able to train with us. He’s not been playing much and hasn’t been fully fit.

“So we’ve agreed to allow him to play local football somewhere, but we haven’t come to an agreement yet with Bexhill or any other club. We’ll keep hold of his Conference registration until the end of the season at least.”

He has made 11 appearances for Borough this season, scoring two goals. His last game for Borough was against Gateshead on February 1. Atkin has scored 60 goals from 216 appearances in total.