Daubeney confirmed as United boss for next season

0
Have your say

EASTBOURNE UNITED travel to promotion hopefuls Pagham this Saturday buoyed by the news that Paul Daubeney will be staying on as manager next season, whatever this year’s outcome.

Boss Daubeney said, “I’m delighted, it’s a challenge I’m looking forward to.

“It’ll be a tough job with our lack of funding and the facilities definitely need improving.” The County League divison one basement face a stiff task if they are to maintain their division one status and Daubeney has warned the side that division two would prove just as competitive.

“There are some strong division two outfits with a lot of financial push, they’ll be doing all they can to move into this division, whether it be this season or the next.”

United’s committee held a meeting last week to confirm the extension of Daubeney’s tenure for the 2011-12 season with Paul Sargent remaining as assistant.

United secretary Brian Dowling said, “They were first appointed at a difficult time when the team had failed to win its first 16 games.

“We felt it was fair to offer them the chance to start a season on level terms.”

Daubeney will be looking to add some new faces next season but believes his side are improving, “The team is starting to settle and performances are improving, we’ll be looking to bring in some new players next term; ideally we want a strong 18-man squad with the opportunity to bring a few players in across the season.”

Daubeney will hope to bring in experienced heads to compliment his sides young shoulders. The signing of County League veteran Nick Barden proves Daubeney will be looking at players proven at this level.

Ashley John-Baptiste is unavailable while Jamie Buckett (groin) and Marcus Whiteman (ankle) are also expected to miss the trip to Pagham.

Ollie Lee and Adam Daubeney will come into the squad to replace them while Nick Barden and Nik Chamberlain hope to make their debuts as United look to avenge their 8-1 September defeat.