LETTER: Exports: Make up your minds

0
Have your say

It would be good to pin down exactly what is the accurate percentage of exports to the EU [Letters, March 11].

Three stalwart supporters of the Union cannot agree about it. On The Andrew Marr Show the Chancellor of the Exchequer said it was 50 per cent. The Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills quotes the figure as 47 per cent.

Her opposite number, i.e. the Secretary of State, put the figure on Any Questions as low as 44 per cent.

Whichever one it is, and the Remain people really ought to make up their minds, the undisputed equivalent figure for 10 years ago was 62 per cent. So, even if we accept the Chancellor’s expansive estimate, what happens in another 10 years if we stay in and the percentage reduces proportionately? That would take it to 38 per cent.

But that is to assume the doubtful edifice of the European Union will not have imploded by a decade from now.

Edward Thomas

Collington Close

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk

2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/eastbourne.herald

3 Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.