Woman dies from accidental overdose

0
Have your say

A GRANDMOTHER died after taking an accidental overdose, an inquest has heard.

Elizabeth Bowker, described by her husband of 37 years John as ‘bubbly and witty’, was found unresponsive in bed by her spouse in the early hours of June 19 last year.

The 58-year-old, who had several health problems, was on various medications including Tramadol and a toxicologist report showed that the amount of the drug in her system was around three-and-a-half times the usual dose.

An inquest into Mrs Bowker’s death at Eastbourne Magistrates Court heard her heart was in a ‘poor way’ and that there was extensive narrowing of the coronary arteries.

In a statement read on his behalf the court heard how on the evening before her death, Mr Bowker had gone to bed at around 9.30pm and his wife had stayed downstairs at their home in Command Road.

He noticed in the early hours of the next morning that she had not come upstairs and after shouting out to her she said she had fallen asleep but was coming to bed.

The inquest heard Mr Bowker was feeling restless and got up shortly after 2.15am.

He walked past the bedroom a couple of times and could hear his wife sleeping but became concerned around an hour later when he was aware things were very quiet.

He then realised his wife was not breathing, rang 999 and carried out resuscitation until the paramedics arrived but she died at the scene.

Mr Bowker said he felt his wife did not take a deliberate overdose and that she had been planning a holiday.

Police attended the address and did not find anything untoward or suspicious.

Coroner Alan Craze said he was satisfied that the tragic death was as a result of an accidental overdose and without Mrs Bowker’s condition he didn’t think she would have died.

He recorded a verdict of accidental death.

After the inquest Mr Bowker paid tribute to his wife saying, “She was good fun and a good wife and mother.

“She was a lovely person.”