Warning after electric heater fire in Eastbourne

Rescue
Rescue

Two crews from Eastbourne Community Fire Station attended an incident at a property in Bexhill Road last night (January 26).

They used carbon dioxide on an electric fire after being called at 7.01pm.

The fire was accidental and no-one was injured.

As the winter weather continues, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service reminded residents to be careful with plug-in and electric heaters.

The service offered the following advice:

- Heaters should be kept away from furniture and fittings. Ensure that nothing can fall onto a heater.

- Keep at least three feet - one metre - away from them

- Have fireguards to prevent and protect children and/or pets coming in contact with them

- Never dry washing on or near them (or on fireguards)

- Try to secure heaters up against a wall to stop them falling over.

-Don’t cover air vents on storage heaters or fan heaters.

More information about using electric heaters safely can be found here.