UPDATE: Seven treated after inhaling hazardous fumes at an Eastbourne pub

Fire & Rescue News.
Fire & Rescue News.

Seven people had to be treated by paramedics after a inhaling hazardous fumes caused by mixing detergents at the Red Lion pub.

Three ambulances and two paramedic cars were called to the scene after reports of a man in his 30s inhaling fumes at around 10:35pm on Tuesday September 1.

The man was having trouble breathing and was rushed to Eastbourne DGH for treatment.

three other patients complaining of sore throats and itchy eyes were also taken to Eastbourne DGH for checks after on scene treatment by paramedics.

Firefighters were also called to a the pub on Wish Hill at around 11pm at the request of the ambulance service.

The building was evacuated before fire crews ventilated the hazardous fumes.

The cause of the incident was found to be dishwashing detergents that had been mixed incorrectly.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service Station Manager Paul Way said, “We would like to remind the public to take care when using cleaning products. Mixing common household cleaning products can cause serious injuries. If you think you may have accidentally mixed products together & inhaled, leave the premises & if possible isolate any ignition sources.

“Even if you do not feel ill, consult a doctor, as the effects may be delayed.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.