UPDATE: Seven immigrants caught at Sovereign Harbour to be sent home

editorial image

Seven of the 15 Albanian immigrants arrested in Sovereign Harbour this weekend will be removed from the UK.

The 14 men, aged between 19 and 39, and a 14-year-old boy, were caught jumping off of a boat at Sovereign Harbour on Saturday.

Police and border officials were called after the alarm was raised, and the 15 suspected illegal immigrants were taken into custody.

The Home Office said so far, seven of the adult males in immigration detention will be removed from the UK.

Another seven are in police custody and awaiting their fate, as they transfer to an immigration detention.

The other male, thought to be 14-years-old, has been referred to East Sussex Social Services.

A Home Office spokesman said: “We work closely with the police to tackle illegal immigration. Where someone is found to have no legal right to remain in the UK we will take action to remove them.”

A 40-year-old British man from Hurstpierpoint was also arrested by police on suspicion of facilitating illegal entry to the UK and was questioned by Home Office Immigration Enforcement. He has been bailed pending further enquiries until February 23.

For local reaction to Saturday’s incident, see tomorrow’s Eastbourne Gazette (November 18).