Trevor’s week - January 26, 2011

0
Have your say

JANUARY is always a depressing month when dealing with wildlife casualties. A large male rabbit was hit by a car last week and left at the side of a road. The finder took the rabbit home but unfortunately we were not called until the following day, as a result the rabbit was in severe shock, and suffering from a nasty fracture on a rear leg. If you find a road casualty please call us straight away - do not wait to the following morning - or take the casualty to a local emergency veterinary practice.

A MOTORIST driving between Burwash and Heathfield took the correct course of action after finding a road casualty fox trying to climb off the road just after midnight. Kathy and I rushed to the fox’s aid but it was clearly suffering with multiple fractures, broken ribs and internal crush injuries. We took it to Heathfield Vets where it was euthanased quietly and quickly ending the suffering.

WRAS has an Easter Fair at St John’s Church Hall, High Street, Polegate on April 9, 9am-noon. Tables available for a £5 donation to WRAS but book in advance by contacting Sue on 07795432912.

OUR feral pigeons are doing well and Wicked Witch, who was emaciated, is now in the outside aviary. Pigeons Roast, the juvenile, and Jack, are putting on weight and we hope they will both go to the aviary this week. Aladdin, the pigeon with the ligature wound to his leg and foot, is now perching and looking a lot happier.

WE HAD an emergency call to a fox curled up behind recycling bins near Comet at Hampden Park - reported as potentially suffering from poisoning. On arrival it was found in good body condition and just suffering from an eye infection. The fox was very alert and on approach stood up and moved to a safer location. It was nice and lively and we stood no chance of capturing the fox as it out ran from us even stopping to scent mark whilst doing so!

A BIG thanks to Eastbourne Fire Brigade for helping to save a pigeon caught in netting above Homebase in Lottbridge Drove. New rescuer Sue Archer assessed the situation and called for help. An appliance from Eastbourne arrived and they decided an aerial platform would be needed and it would be a good training opportunity. Luckily the pigeon was in such good order once cut free that it flew out of the fireman’s hands, releasing itself!

WE successfully ran our Introduction to Wildlife Rescue course last week. We have set several more dates and will repeat the Introduction to Wildlife Rescue course on February 7, 6.30pm for 6.45pm start finishing at 9.30pm - also on Friday 11th February, 1.30pm for 1.45pm start, finishing at 4.30pm. We also run a Waterfowl Awareness Course - to help the public, parks and garden staff and other interested in wildlife welfare. It will be run on February 17 and 22, 6.30pm for a 6.45pm start, finishing about 9.30pm. The Waterfowl courses is £10 per person and Introduction to Wildlife Rescue £15. Book by e mail trevor@wildlifeambulance.org or 01825-873003 Monday - Friday, 10am-6pm only. Do not call this number for emergencies or casualties.

SEAHAVEN FM has been recently granted a FM Community Radio Licence and I have been asked by presenter Martha Swift if I will join her once a month for a regular slot talking about wildlife, doing a review of that months rescues, seasonal incidents and advise on dealing with wildlife. My first live broadcast is on January 28, 3pm-5pm. You can listen on-line at www.seahavenfm.com or tune in to 96.3FM in the Seaford, Newhaven and Peacehaven area.

WE ARE keeping our fingers crossed for a Fallow deer found caught in stock fencing at Rotherfield on Sunday. The young female deer was upside down caught by its leg and its ankle has been pulled apart but luckily there is plenty of blood supply to the foot. Kathy, Debbie and I attended and administered emergency first aid. Tony N and Claire then drove the deer straight up to St Tiggywinkles where it arrived safely and received further treatment.

GREAT news from Dot and Steve at the Swan Sanctuary, the swan with the lump in his neck rescued at Hailsham Common Pond on the ice on December 27 is now ready for release, it was an abscess probably caused by a fishing hook. The other swan rescued the same day at Newhaven Marina had a partial amputation of his wing. He will be released onto a private pond when he has paired up.