Trevor’s Week - January 19, 2011

THERE have been a couple of major rescues this past week. A large female Fallow deer was found collapsed in a field near Rushlake Green.

A vet had been out the previous day and the owner of the field had cut the deer free from being caught by its leg in stock fencing.

The vet apparently said the deer had no skeletal injuries, gave pain relief and antibiotics and said call back if the deer was still present the following day. So WRAS eventually received a call after the deer had been collapsed for so long.

Rescuers Sue A, Tony N, Kathy M and I attended onsite where we were able to secure the deer and assess it where we found a typical ligature wound to its leg and that the leg was dislocated.

After seeking veterinary advice the deer was given emergency medication and rushed straight up to St Tiggywinkles for expert help, as we knew this was the deer’s only chance.

Sadly she had been left for too long and despite battling hard the staff at St Tiggywinkles lost her after three days.

The other major rescue was at night to a small male Muntjac deer caught in stock fencing near Ardingly Reservoir.

The deer had its head and front legs through one of the stock fencing squares but its rear legs had gone through a different square leaving the deer hanging by its stomach on a strand of wire.

Kathy M, Tony N and myself accompanied by Plumpton College students Georgina and Rachel attended on site and managed to cut the deer free but the pressure wounds - even worse than what baby Button the Fallow deer rescued 18 months ago at Danehill - were very extensive and he had a broken foot too.

Emergency first aid and treatment was given on site and again the deer was rushed up to St Tiggywinkles in an attempt to treat the internal injuries.

It took just under two hours to get to St Tiggywinkles as we were so close to the motorway, arriving about 9pm.

I delivered Georgina and Rachel back to Eastbourne and finally returned home about 3am.

Sadly he did not survive his first night, but he died comfortably. It is so sad when you lose any animals but when you put so much hard work in it hits you even harder.

We had a call about a poorly swan at Princes Park on Saturday sat on the grass by the outlet stream going to the sea.

Rescuers attended on site but unfortunately the swan had died whilst they were en route.

We had about 15 calls about the dead swan on the Saturday but WRAS is not responsible for disposing of dead wildlife so the swan, we did phone Eastbourne Borough Council as the land owner to sort out disposal.

The following day we had several calls about the swan again which clearly scavengers had moved.

Rescuers Tony and Sue attended two swans in a fenced off field at the rear of Tollgate School in Eastbourne.

The two swans spent several hours trying to get out attempting to fly but falling short of the fence.

Rescuers had to climb over the fence in order to attempt rescue. The swans were caught and transported down to Princes Park for release in the non-territorial flock of swans.

Tony also dealt with two sparrowhawks on Saturday. One he had to spend time chasing round with a net in Cooden Beach Railway Station.

This juvenile bird was rather underweight so was taken up to RSPCA Mallydams for care.

On his return he attended another sparrowhawk, this time a female, at Horam which we believe had flown into a window.

The bird was taken to the vets for assessment as the right shoulder was out of place and the right pupil was blown. The bird is being treated at WRAS’s casualty centre.

WRAS had an e-mail from Paul Crow Senior Conservation Officer, Fauna Conservation Department, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden, Hong Kong.

Asking advice about two deer attacked by dogs. They were doing ok but x-rays showed a scapular fracture.

I e-mailed them back giving further information, advice and contacts for St Tiggywinkles experts.

Unfortunately they died shortly after they e-mailed us, but they now are looking at seeking advice in case this happens again.

£478.15 has been raised for WRAS by our patron Sarah Jane Honeywell, the staff and theatregoers at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre in Guildford where she has been staring as Sleeping Beauty this winter - thanks everyone!

WRAS volunteer Dick rescued a feral pigeon last week with a nasty ligature wound round one of its feet.

The cotton has really cut into the foot, and caused one toe to fall off and another is in the process of dying off. Poor little mite.

He has joined several other pigeons we have in care who all seem to be developing well, including one who is ready to go down to our aviaries.

Don’t forget WRAS’s quiz night at the Berwick Inn on January 27 which is next to Berwick railway station.

Entry is £5 for a team of up to 5 people. It starts at 7.30pm, please come along and support WRAS!