Travellers moved on by authorities

A group of travellers who arrived in Eastbourne on Friday were moved on by the police and council on Sunday afternoon.

The group, believed to be from Birmingham, were seen driving motorhomes and caravans on to Seaside Recreation Ground before the weekend.

They were moved on from there on Saturday and after initially trying to get into the car park at Tesco in Lottbridge Drove, headed for the car park at Fisherman’s Green on the seafront.

After extensive discussions with police and council officials, the group moved out of town on Sunday.

A spokesperson at Eastbourne Borough Council said, “We worked with police over the weekend to ensure that travellers were moved on from Seaside Recreation Ground and Fisherman’s Green where they had set up unauthorised encampments.

“They left the borough on Sunday monitored by police. As soon as they left, council contractors cleared both sites of rubbish left behind.”

The group is believed to be the same entourage which parked up on Hove Lawns last week immediately sparking complaints from passers-by of rubbish left. The group then tried to get in to Bridie’s Tan, the specified site on the A27 near Lewes, but there was no room so they moved along the coast to Seaford before arriving in Eastbourne.

A police spokesperson said, “We would like to reassure the community that the group of travellers who came to Eastbourne and parked on the recreation ground and later in the Fishermen’s Green car park at Royal Parade have now moved on.

“Police received requests from several residents to speak to the travelling community.”