Teen is banned from contacting Jeremy Forrest

The schoolgirl who fled to France with her teacher Jeremy Forrest has been banned from contacting him.

The girl was 15 when she ran away to France with the Bishop Bell maths teacher.

Jeremy Forrest, 31, was arrested in Bordeaux on September 28 following the issuing of a European Arrest Warrant.

Forrest was jailed for five-and-a-half years at Lewes Crown Court in April after being convicted of child abduction and admitting five counts of sexual activity with a child.

His teenage victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is believed to have made numerous attempts to contact him at Lewes Prison.

Forrest was moved to Ashfield prison, a sex offenders’ facility near Bristol – 180 miles away from his former school and home at Ringmer, last month and the teenager also tried to visit him there – but all her attempts at contact have been rebuffed by prison authorities.

Now a national newspaper has reported that she has been officially banned from contacting Forrest, as part of an ongoing case review.

Forrest’s father Jim, a retired IT director, told the Mail on Sunday the ruling had left the girl “devastated and distraught”.

But an East Sussex County Council spokeswoman said “Jeremy Forrest is a convicted sex offender, and as such it’s entirely appropriate that any contact between him and his victim should be controlled and closely monitored.

“The conditions which have been put in place are not the decision of any one individual but are the result of a multi-agency approach with involvement at senior management level.

“We are satisfied that our staff have acted appropriately and have followed the strict safeguarding procedures we have in place.

“Our primary concern is, as it has been all along, the safety and well-being of this vulnerable teenager.”

In June it was revealed Forrest plans to marry the schoolgirl and her father told newspapers he would be “proud” to walk her down the aisle.

The girl wrote to Forrest’s parents to declare her love for their son and announced she intended to visit him in prison.

However, she is has been unable to do so.

The ESCC spokeswoman added that the ban was not a blanket ban on the girl visiting Forrest until she was 18 – as had been reported in the Mail – but would be reviewed, as part of the ongoing case review.

A prison service spokesperson said that they did not comment on individual cases and prisoners.

However, they added, “There are very strict rules governing contact between offenders and their victims.”