Stay safe on bonfire night

Hailsham Bonfire Society torchlit parade and firework display October 19th 2013

Hailsham Bonfire Society torchlit parade and firework display October 19th 2013

1
Have your say

Health bosses are urging people to keep their families safe by taking care around fireworks.

To avoid becoming part of this year’s bonfire statistics, make sure that you handle bonfires and fireworks safely, keeping children away from fireworks and bonfires at all times – said an East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust spokesperson.

“Alternatively, why not relax and enjoy the spectacle of an organised display?”.

“Don’t forget that sparklers stay hot long after the sparkle has fizzled and should not be given to children under five years.

“Always supervise children with sparklers and make sure that they wear gloves and hold their sparklers at arm’s length.

“Put sparklers in a bucket of water when finished, and never touch them.”

Dr Andrew Leonard, Clinical Lead for Acute and Emergency Medicine Services at East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, added, “Bonfire night is an exciting time for children and accidents can happen.

“Many people forget about the risks from bonfires, either from falls or picking up hot items that have fallen off the fire.

“It is important that everyone understands how to administer first aid to burn and follows the advice below.

“ Our A&E departments see an increase in very ill patients at this time of the year, so we would urge anyone with more minor complaints to choose the right health service for their condition.”

If an accident does occur, parents are advised to choose the right healthcare service.

Many minor burns can be treated at home; cool the burn with cool or lukewarm water for 10-30 minutes, keeping the person warm; cover the burn with a layer of cling film or a non-adherent dressing and treat pain with paracetamol or ibuprofen.

For serious injuries that require urgent medical treatment, visit A&E.

If you are not sure which service to choose, call NHS 111.

For further information on treating burns visit the NHS Choices website.