A POPULAR bandstand concert to mark the end of Airbourne will not go ahead this year.
Eastbourne residents have told the Herald of their disappointment that the concert, which usually includes a Spitfire flypast at dusk, was not taking place this year.
Chris Peppiatt, who lives at the harbour and has attended the concert for the last 10 years, said she was upset when her friend told her the news.
“My friend went to get the tickets as usual and the man behind the desk down at the bandstand said it had been cancelled,” said Chris.
“She was really upset and I felt angry is wasn’t going to be on because I love Airbourne and I thought this concert was the best way to end it. It was always affordable and it was a real highlight.
“I am sure we won’t be the only ones missing it because it is always heaving down there. I can’t understand why it is not on this year.”
A council spokesperson said, “Following poor attendance combined with an increase in band fees during the past few years, the Sunday evening Bandstand concert will not be taking place at this year’s Airbourne.
“This year we will be selling exclusive seating at the bandstand for the firework finale and hope that visitors will join us at our iconic seafront venue to watch the dazzling display.
“The exclusive seating will complement the spectacular firework display sponsored by Eastbourne Pier, which marks the end of Airbourne. On the Sunday evening of Airbourne, the seafront is packed with people enjoying the music being played during the lead up to the firework finale.
“We believe the change in offer at the bandstand during this evening is more in line with public demand and supports the firework finale rather than competes. The bandstand remains an integral part of our fantastic four-day airshow attracting thousands of visitors to the seafront and will continue to host evening concerts at Airbourne on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.”