People are being urged not to miss out on the chance to have their say on proposed changes to taxpayer-funded bus services in East Sussex.
East Sussex County Council’s 12-week public consultation on proposed changes to the routes it subsidises in the county runs until September 28.
Under the proposals, supported bus services which operate during peak hours would be largely unchanged and the vast majority of children travelling to their nearest school would be unaffected. For 91 per cent of current passengers, there would be no change to the services on offer, while more than 95 per cent of users would still have access to a six-day-a-week service.
Cllr Carl Maynard, East Sussex County Council lead member for transport and environment, said, “We have had a big response to the consultation so far and, understandably, it’s an issue which has provoked some strong feelings.
“ However, the important thing to stress is that we have not, and will not, make any decision until we are able to fully take into account people’s views on the proposals and how they will affect their lives.”
The council says the proposed changes would allow it to save £1.79 million over two years. Under the proposals, supported off-peak daytime services that currently run every hour or more frequently would still operate from Monday to Saturday, but with a reduced frequency, while off-peak daytime services currently operating less than hourly would generally be reduced to a twice-weekly service. Meanwhile, financial support for 13 evening and Sunday services would be withdrawn and funding for dial-a-ride transport would be reduced to provide a minimum two-days-a-week service.
Paper copies of the consultation survey are available in all East Sussex libraries, on some bus services and in council-run buildings, or can be requested by calling 0345 6080194 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org